This page contains actual questions asked by participants of a Developer Testing training or in conferences. Each question is answered along with page references to the book.
- Where do I start if I’m new to developer testing?
- It takes more time to write the tests for feature XYZ than the actual code. How do you justify spending so much time on the test code?
- Does developer testing make testers superfluous?
- How do we test to best help our technical writers?
- How can we build a testable system and ensure that it stays testable as it evolves?
- Should a unit test depend on data from external systems?
- How do you test highly coupled code where data access, user interface, and business logic are interwoven in long and complex methods?
- Should I test getters and setters?
Working with Test Code
Beyond Unit Testing
- How should we do system and integration testing?
- How do I stop my colleagues from calling “integration tests” “unit-tests?”
- “Complex” tests are here to stay. We will not realistically replace them with “real” unit tests. So, what can we do to become better at it? Any cross team potential to realize?
- Which UI test tools are fast and flexible?
- What about security testing? External penetration testing is one thing, but can developer testing help in any way?
- What about concurrent multi-threaded code?